Foodborne and Gastrointestinal Diseases
From Ingrid Koo, Ph.D., former About.com Guide
- Foodborne Disease Basics
- Foods Associated with Infectious Diseases
- Foodborne Diseases by Name
- Salmonella Outbreaks
Foodborne Disease Basics
Learn about the basics of foodborne and gastrointestinal diseases. What causes foodborne illnesses? Are there different types of diarrhea? What are some basic hygiene and safety tips I can use to limit the spread of infection from my kitchen?
- How Infections are Caused by the Foods We Eat
- What's Causing Your Diarrhea?
- Foodborne Disease - Are We Asking For It?
Foods Associated with Infectious Diseases
Certain foods may be more likely than others to harbor infectious microbes. Find out which microbes are associated with which foods and why.
- Sushi Scares
- Milk-borne Infections
- Can You Get Swine Flu from Eating Pork?
- Chinese Deli Meats
- Can Candy Cause Disease?
Foodborne Diseases by Name
Get profiles of specific foodborne diseases. Learn about their symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention. Find out the whos, whats, where, when, and hows of foodborne infections and spread of disease.
- Diseases Caused by Salmonella
- Foodborne Salmonella
- E. coli O157:H7
- Norovirus or Norwalk Virus on Cruise Ships
- E. coli - Frequently Asked Questions
- Profile of Listeria Infection
- Food Poisoning: Staph aureus in Food
- Shigella or Shigellosis
- Rotavirus Diarrheal Disease in Kids
- Botulism: Botox or the Beast
- Cholera Diarrheal Disease
- Campylobacter or Campylobacteriosis
- Anisakiasis: Roundworm in Sushi
Keep reading for some handy tips for preventing diarrheal and other food-borne diseases.
- Does Salt Really Preserve Foods?
- Rotavirus Vaccine for Preventing Infant Diarrhea
- Bottle Sterilization - Should You Sterilize?
There have been several Salmonella outbreaks in 2009 due to peanuts, pistachios, alfalfa sprouts, and more. Find out more about Salmonella outbreaks in 2009.
- Salmonella Outbreak - January 7, 2009
- How did the Salmonella get into the Peanuts?
- Salmonella Outbreak Investigation - Wrong Salmonella in Implicated Peanuts?
- Salmonella in the Peanut Plant - What Health Violations were Found?
- Salmonella in Peanuts - Is there a Coverup?